29 December 2006

The Atomium

One of the few things in Brussels that I hadn't seen before this Christmas, is the Atomium building. So I went to see it. It was a pretty cold night, but a guy in a café told us that the structure is best after sunset, so we left the warmth of my daddy's house and after 45 mins of bus + subway we were there. And here it is, an impressive structure that symbolizes a molecule of metal. From the atomium website:

Designed by the engineer André Waterkeyn for the International Exhibition of Brussels, that took place here in 1958, the Atomium is a structure that is half way between sculpture and architecture, symbolising a crystal molecule of metal by the scale of its atoms, magnified 165 billion times.

Pretty isn't it? Unfortunately I got there too late, and I couldn't visit the inside of the Atomium, but I found it pretty amazing even from outside. Because it was a foggy that day, there was no belvedere anyway, so not too bad it was closed ;-)
It makes me think about the "Sphere" in Michael Crichton's book!

No comments: