06 March 2006

Oscar night

And The winner is...
Yes, another Oscar night has passed, and with it, all the glamour and the fun. I must admit that I'm very fond of the Oscars, especially this year that my beloved Reese Witherspoon has got an award! And she wasn't the only one in my heart to be rewarded for a great performance. Philip Seymour Hoffman got his statuette for the interpretation of Truman Capote in "Capote". By the way, both the movies, "Walk the Line" and "Capote" are worth seeing.
(Pic from Oscar.com)

These two movies are completely different, but I appreciated both. "Walk the Line" is a romantic movie with a country music soundtrack. It follows the tormented love story between the great Johnny Cash and his music partner June Carter (Reese Witherspoon in the movie). Joaquin Phoenix, who plays Cash, did a great job and if it wasn't for the Hoffman-Capote biopic I bet he would have won the Oscar. The story is touching, the music is great, and the whole movie is very entertaining. Ok I'm a Johnny Cash fan, but I'm sure that even non country music listeners will be involved in the love story. Touching.

Capote"Capote", on the other hand, is a low budget movie following the birth of Truman Capote masterpiece "In cold blood". Hoffman did a great job to emulate the controversial personality of the writer-with-a-funny-voice. Truman Capote wasn't a nice person, he was selfish, self-centered and used people around him. But in the end, he changed forever American writing with his book (which is also worth reading).

For those among you who saw the movie and are wondering how sounded the real Truman Capote's voice, I suggest you renting the great exhilarating movie "Murder by Death" (Invito a cena con delitto - 1976) with the real Capote as the evil Lionel Twain. GREAT MOVIE! So funny!

A scene from CrashAmong the other movies that I would suggest seeing, there is also "Crash". I must admit that I found this movie wanna-be intellectual, wanna-be original and in the end very common. But, somehow, something stayed in me until now. So I guess my first judgment was a bit harsh, and I will give "Crash" another shot.

I don't have much to say on "Brokeback Mountain" who, like "Crash", got 3 Oscars yesterday evening. I didn't see the movie and, I admit, I'm not interested at all in seeing it. I guess I will rent it once available on Dvd. But frankly I don't see much of a revolution or anything extremely new about it. The story reminds me a lot of another movie called "Maurice" (by James Ivory with Hugh Grant) which, in my opinion, was way far more "gay" than this one, but of course it was setted in England and not among cowboys of the 60s... During the Oscar night they showed a very funny montage of all the "gay-like" scenes taken from real old cowboy movies. Well, that one was really funny.

Last comment goes to the host: Jon Stewart. My goodness this man is so comical!! I loved him. I wish I coud see Comedy Central, but I have no cable, so...

Anyway, I had fun, and here it is the complete winners list of the 78th Annual Academy Awards (R). Enjoy!

2 comments:

mauro said...

d'accordo su tutto, ma devi vedere brokeback mountain, è un bel film. Belli anche alcuni brani della colonna sonora di Santaolalla

Justine said...

Ciao Mauro, mi fa piacere che siamo d'accordo :-) decisamente Brokeback mountain lo vedrò!!
Grazie per la visita!